Q. I am bleeding after four days of tonsillectomy. How to manage?

I just had my tonsils taken out before four days. Today, I took a walk down the mall and started to bleed a lot from my mouth. I rush to the hospital, and the doctor asked me to rest. As soon as I got home, I tasted blood and spat a lot of blood again. What should I do?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Bleeding after tonsillectomy is one of the most common complications. What you should do immediately is have some ice creams. This constricts the blood vessels and stops bleeding.
  • Bleeding three or four days post operation is most likely due to infection. Are you under antibiotic cover now? If not you need to take Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid combination antibiotic for seven days.
  • In addition to that, I recommend you take Benzydamine mouth rinses, and throat gargles thrice daily. Stop having extra spicy, oily and hot foods. Drink plenty of normal temperature water.
  • Also, I suggest you tablet Etamsylate 250 mg twice daily to stop bleeding. I also advise you rest at home for three to four days and not to venture out in dust and sun.
  • In case you need further support, along with your query, do attach a picture of your throat. I would also like to know the method used for removing the tonsils, coblator, radio frequency, dissection snare, etc.

Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|