Pilonidal Sinus

Is it mandatory to get surgery immediately for pilonidal sinus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a pilonidal sinus, that is 20 mm long. I consulted the surgeon and he suggested surgery. Is it mandatory to get the surgery done now itself or can I wait for three to four months?  Read Full »

Dr. Madhav

General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A pilonidal sinus is more common among men who: 1. Have more hard body hair. 2. Have long working hours (sitting down). 3. Obese. Unfortunately, surgery is the best option for you in going forward. However, as the recovery period can be a lengthy one, you may hol...  Read Full »

Is surgery the only option to cure pilonidal sinus?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 26-year-old male. I have a sitting job (mostly eight to 10 hours a day with no exercise). I was diagnosed with pilonidal sinus a few months ago and was suggested a surgery. As it comes with a long recovery time, I never opted for it. One of the doctors suggested that I just live ...  Read Full »

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the clinical images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The reason why this occurs is elusive, although many hypothetical explanations are given. Surgery is the best and only curative option. The wound can be closed without any pr...  Read Full »

Had pilonidal sinus surgery before two months. Why is it bleeding now?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from pilonidal sinus. I have been operated thrice in the last two years and the third operation has been successful. In the other two operations, the doctors left some of the sinus in. My main concern is that, it had been operated and healing well. It was stitched and the d...  Read Full »

Dr. Eriol Braholli

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, General Surgeon, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As a matter of fact, the worst thing of pilonidal sinus is that it can be repeated after treatment including surgery. Since you have been operated lately, I would recommend you to go through a cure of antibiotics as a first try. Because, it may be an infection of the woun...  Read Full »

What to do if pilonidal cyst surgery site has started bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a pilonidal cyst surgery done almost two months ago. I rubbed the area and it has started bleeding. What do I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Subhadeep Tripathy

General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pilonidal cystectomy is the surgical removal of the pilonidal cyst. Some surgeons while operating on the pilonidal sinus, keep the surgical area open in order to heal with granulation tissue. Some surgeons decide to close the wound. In your case, it seems like the woun...  Read Full »