Q. I am having a condition of dry skin all over my body. What could it be?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 05, 2021

I am having dry skin patches on my skin. They started about four weeks ago, and I first noticed them in my groin area. They are just dry, and they do not hurt or itch. Two weeks ago, I went to a pharmacy, and they suggested it could either be Pityriasis rosea, Pityriasis versicolor or psoriasiform eczema; and they prescribed Fluconazole tablets, Travocort cream, and Advantan ointment. I have been using them ever since, but the condition has spread all over my body especially on my hands, groin, thighs, and upper back areas.

#

• Your clinical images are more in favor of Pityriasis rosea (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • It is an exanthem, secondary to viral infection, usually triggered by a sore throat.
  • The good thing is that it needs only supportive management as the condition resolves in three to four weeks time without any further complications.
  • There is no need to panic, and you do not need to use Fluconazole as it is not fungal.

Pityriasis rosea.

I suggest you the following treatment for two weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

1. Use a moisturizer containing Aloe vera and soft paraffin, in the morning and evening.
2. Mometasone cream for local application once at night.
3. Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg once daily at night.

For further information consult a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you so much for your response. It has been over 5 weeks now. It is more than the maximum stated of 4 weeks. Could there be any explanation for this?

#

In few patients, there can be extended lesions even up to three months. But it is rare. With the use of the prescribed medication, your lesions will resolve early.

|