Q. I am having a condition of dry skin all over my body. What could it be?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

I am having dry skin patches on my skin. They started about four weeks ago, and I first noticed them in my groin area. They are just dry, and they do not hurt or itch. Two weeks ago, I went to a pharmacy, and they suggested it could either be Pityriasis rosea, Pityriasis versicolor or psoriasiform eczema; and they prescribed Fluconazole tablets, Travocort cream, and Advantan ointment. I have been using them ever since, but the condition has spread all over my body especially on my hands, groin, thighs, and upper back areas.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• Your clinical images are more in favor of Pityriasis rosea (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • It is an exanthem, secondary to viral infection, usually triggered by a sore throat.
  • The good thing is that it needs only supportive management as the condition resolves in three to four weeks time without any further complications.
  • There is no need to panic, and you do not need to use Fluconazole as it is not fungal.

Pityriasis rosea.

I suggest you the following treatment for two weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

1. Use a moisturizer containing Aloe vera and soft paraffin, in the morning and evening.
2. Mometasone cream for local application once at night.
3. Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg once daily at night.

For further information consult a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Can I take Levocet M for itchy throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a problem of nose block and my ENT surgeon suggested me to go for a nose operation. As per doctor instruction, operation of my nose was carried out before three months. Now my nose is almost fine, but still I feel that something is there in my throat. I also feel itchy throat and e...  Read Full »

Please suggest tips for very dry skin.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 20 year old female. I have too much dry skin. I mean extra dry skin. I use almond oil and moisturizing soap, but it is not effective.  Read Full »

What would be the result of CBC and PBS tests in a patient with pityriasis rosea?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had my blood tested and it turned out that I have WBC at 16000. I have no fever, a cold or a cough. Although I have rashes and I suspect this is pityriasis rosea. My doctor is not aware of my suspicion. Now he wanted me to undergo CBC and peripheral blood smear. If I really...  Read Full »