Q. How to confirm placenta previa?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on May 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife is pregnant and she is feeling of placenta previa. Occasionally, she also feels the pain. How to confirm that?

#

• Please also let me know how many weeks she is carrying now.
  • Send me the detailed information along with the USG (ultrasound) report.

Revert back with the asked details to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

She is carrying 20th week. She feels that the placenta is very low and also she feels pain there.

#

• I have gone through the USG report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) which showed a live fetus with posterior placenta previa.
  • We do not diagnose or tell a woman having placenta previa or not until she has crossed 32 weeks.
  • Now, as it is a 17 weeks pregnancy, I must tell you there are 70 % chances that this placenta will migrate upwards.
  • In a scan near 32 weeks, if placenta is still low then it is placenta previa.
  • I think, you need not be worried about it until and unless there is bleeding per vagina. That is the only sign of placenta previa.
  • Pain is not at all a symptom of this. Pain could be due to other reasons like constipation, urine infection or even muscle pain. But, never due to placenta previa.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|