Q. I have low lying placenta at 28 weeks. Can I travel?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

I am 28+2 weeks pregnant and have low lying placenta which is 1.6 cm from the internal os. I want to travel by train for a six hour journey. Will the train journey affect my baby and me? What should I do? What precautions should I take in this? Can blood clot happen in journey? Please advise regarding the same.

#

• With placenta previa (low lying placenta) at 28 weeks, it is actually not recommended to travel at all by train or flight or for that matter even with car.
  • The aim being to avoid any vaginal bleeding from separation of placenta due to bumps and jerks.
  • The bleeding once started would be difficult to stop on its own. So, you may need a hospital intervention.
  • But, considering your condition, I would suggest you to be placed on tablet micronized Progesterone 200 mg orally a week prior to your planned travel as this shall prevent any uterine contractions and decrease any chances of mishap.
  • Secondly, you have to ensure that you would walk, climb slowly with care and avoid any accidental jerks and not lift any luggage at all which can increase your lower abdominal pressure.
  • You may undertake the journey but with utmost care. Also, prefer lying down while travelling rather than sitting. Wishing you a safe pregnancy.

For further information consult a fetal medicine specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fetal-medicine-specialist

Now, my placenta is 1.6 cm from the internal os. When it will move to the safer side?

#

• The safest distance of the placental border from the internal os is 2.5 cm and above.
  • Ideally, we wait till 32 weeks gestation and then get a repeat scan done as it generally climbs up. So, the final distance can be estimated at 32 weeks.

For further clarifications consult a fetal medicine specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fetal-medicine-specialist

|