Q. Diagnosed with low lying placenta. Is there any complications during long flight travel?

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on May 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife was diagnosed with low lying placenta. We need suggestion regarding long flight travel.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

• The complication with low lying placenta is bleeding from vagina which can be sudden and sometimes torrential.
  • But, I would not recommend you to take her for long flight travel as any condition where if sudden bleeding occurs and there may not be accessibility for immediate medical care in the form of blood transfusion and even C-section if required. So it is not advisable.
  • If travelling is very important then you can take her in short duration flights and split it over 1 or 2 days.

For further clarifications consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

Thank you doctor. My wife is 18 weeks into pregnancy now and did not witness any bleeding so far. Her first pregnancy was also normal without any bleeding. So, does that reduce the risk of bleeding now. Also we are in a position that we should travel and no other option. Is there any precautionary measures that we can take before we travel. As she is only in the 18th week, does that reduce the risk by any means? Also with the scan photos that I have attached will you be able to find how low is it from cervix or is it completely overlying on the cervix. Please help us overcome our situation. We are in need of immediate help.

Dr. Divakara P

#

Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• Well, that surely reduces the risk but does not eliminate it. 
  • There is not much of precautions as it is an air travel. Just make sure she does not bump her abdomen into anything.  Ask her to walk slowly and not to strain for motions
  • As of the placenta is concerned from the scan, it seems like it is not totally overlying the cervix but it is near to that. (attachment removed to protect patient identity)
  • My advise remains the same . Break your air travel to shorter ones (for example if it is a 12 hour flight , then try for 4 hours to one destination and then 8 hours or 6+6).
  • See the risk is not very high but the preparedness for any possible complication should be good. That is the reason I am advising shorter air travel. There is high chance that nothing will happen for her even in long air travel but, we should be on the safer side.

For further follow up, consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

Bleeding with clots and tissues,due to low-lying placenta. Is this placenta previa?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 35 years old and first time pregnant. She got pregnant naturally. She is running into 18 weeks and five days as of today. No history of any fertility treatment ever. Last week, she had bleeding with clots and tissues (one pad soaked each time) twice in four days interval. W...  Read Full »

What precaution should I take for fibroid and low lying placenta?

Query: Hi doctor, I am attaching the two ultrasound reports of 7th week and 14th week pregnancy. As per reports there are fibroid and low lying posterior placenta. What are chances of the baby to be delivered safe and sound? Will this fibroid contribute any bad effect to the baby or baby's growth in t...  Read Full »

I am 18 weeks pregnant.I am tensed about low lying placenta.Kindly help.

Query: Hello,I am 28 years old and 18 weeks pregnant. Recently I have done Gravid Uterus - Obstetric Sonography and found the below result. Placenta is posterior, grade I, low lying - lower end is about 25 to 35 mm from internal OS. Left uterine artery shows high resistance flow. So, I wanted to know if t...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now