Q. Are cold compressions better for plantar fasciitis?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I am suffering from foot bumps on the sole of the foot. Will they go on their own, or should I seek medical attention. I have attached the pictures of the bumps. Please help me.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from foot bumps. According to the pictures that are provided here (attachment removed to protect the patient's recovery), you are suffering from bumps on the sole of the foot that may result from corns which are usually painful, having a hard center, calluses which are usually painless and larger than corns, cysts, bursitis, dyshidrotic eczema, plantar warts, plantar fibroma. Treatment depends on causes. Biopsy or FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) from the bump will confirm the underlying etiology for their development and then treat them accordingly. Usually, bumps on the sole of the foot are derived from some pressure or frictions and do not need any medical treatment. They will go away over time on their own. You can soak your foot on salt mixed warm water for 5-10 minutes. Use an extra sole pad to protect the bumps from further pressure or frictions. In case of pain, use painkillers. You can use Salicylic acid (Betamethasone) on the bumps as it has keratolytic effects. If your bumps become red and swollen, then take antibiotics like Flucloxacillin.

I would like a more direct answer as to what these are, please. I applied the cream, but I do not feel anything.

#

I think they are corns, and they are nothing but a kind of callus and produced by dry skin. They are usually developed on hairless skin like the sole of the foot and may be derived from pressure, friction, or irritation due to wearing ill-fitted shoes, sweaty feet, or standing for a long time. Corns may become soft or hard with a clear center. They do not need any medical treatment and go away over time on their own. But if they become infected, then antibiotics may be needed. Salicylic acid (Betamethasone) can be applied to corns as corns are made of dead skin. As Salicylic acid has keratolytic effects, it can help to peel off the dead skin. In some cases, an incision of the corns may be needed, especially in the long-standing case. Soaking the foot on salt mixed warm water, using the sole protective pad to prevent further injuries or frictions, and applying Salicylic acid will help to subside the corns. Protect your sole bumps or corns, and it will help to cure your corns or bumps with time.

|