The callus is the thickening of the skins due to friction, pressure, or constant irritation. They most commonly occur in the feet, but there are also chances of getting a callus in your hand or knees. There is no underlying medical condition that causes callus, but there are factors such as wearing shoes that are not properly fitted, walking barefoot or frequent use of hand tools. They usually go away when the friction or pressure has stopped and does not require any medical attention.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have pain in my toes and the skin of my toes is harder than normal. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old person. I have pain in my left leg first toe, and also it feels hard in that area for the past three months. I do not have any health issues. What could be the cause? Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Mayank Khandelwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Based on the look of your leg (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), I assume you have a condition called "Hard Corn" or "Callus." A potential reason for the formation of a corn or callus could be tight-fitting footwear that you have been wearing fo...  Read Full »

I have been unable to walk because of a yellow growth between the fingernails of my foot. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been unable to walk properly for the past few days. I have noticed a yellow growth between the fingernails of my foot; I do not know where this is from. What could be the reason? I want your advice. Kindly help. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thank you for your query. As per the history and image provided (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), the condition is callus or corn formation, which can form due to footwear. It is common and can be painful. There are treatments available. It is ...  Read Full »

What does a sclerotic lesion in a rib scan indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, What is the significance of a sclerotic lesion in rib found on CT scan? What does sclerotic mean?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to A sclerotic area in the bone is a part where there is increased deposition of calcium and therefore the bone mineralization in higher in this area. The exact nature of the lesion varies with age and other existing conditions. It is usually a harmless benign fin...  Read Full »

Why does my 72-year-old father have pain and itching on his leg and fingers of the leg?

Query: Hello doctor, My 72-year-old father, an Alzheimer's patient, has pain and itching on his left leg and one of the fingers of the leg. In addition, the skin is dry and hollow on the second finger of the leg. I have attached the pictures of his leg and finger for your reference. Can you please suggest ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nidhin Varghese

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen the attachments (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) and understand your concern. The condition looks like a callus. I suggest you help your father to follow the below treatment plan: Soak his toe in water for 20 minutes and remove t...  Read Full »

Will the bumps on the sole of my feet go away on their own?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from foot bumps on the sole of the foot. Will they go on their own, or should I seek medical attention. I have attached the pictures of the bumps. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from foot bumps. According to the pictures that are provided here (attachment removed to protect the patient's recovery), you are suffering from bumps on the sole of the foot that may...  Read Full »

How to remove corns and calluses on foot?

Query: Hello doctor, My son has corn and calluses in his left leg under his foot, which is very painful at times. He is 14 years old.   Read Full »

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Madhav

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The skin on the feet appears hard, rough, and dry. There is a localized thickening of the skin over sites of repeated trauma and pressure. Predisposing factors are prolonged pressure, friction, ill-fitting shoes. Use Topisal 3 percent ointment at night for ten day...  Read Full »

How to manage a bump on the side of the foot?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a bump on the side of my foot, and it has not gone away in 11 days. It hurts a bit on my foot. What should I do to get rid of it?  Read Full »

Dr. Artur Holubka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You have a common callus. They are wet and dry. In your case, this is a dry cornified callus or corns. Calluses can be prevented by wearing comfortable, well-fitting shoes and by using clean and usable socks. Corns most often develop on damp skin, so appropriate sock...  Read Full »

How to get a blister in hand removed?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a blister in hand. This was caused because of playing tennis. I initially got this three years back. But, it is still persisting. It does not trouble when I do not play, but is uncomfortable while playing. Since I have it for long, please suggest any ointment. Also, advice if it c...  Read Full »

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have reviewed the attached photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and you have developed callosity due to playing tennis and because of the friction caused by holding a racquet. I would suggest applying Duofilm lotion or Salex L lotion (Salicylic ac...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.