Q. Suffering from eye strain with mild headache around eyes. What is it?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 39 years old. In postal department, I am working continuously with computer from 9 AM to 6 PM daily. For the last three months, I have been suffering from eye strain with mild headache around the eyes (near eyebrows). Almost the whole day I am feeling the pressure on my eyes. Sometimes, it gives me relief if I blink deeply. Two to three years back too suffered with the same, but this time it is prolonged. I have my power checked, it is 0.25. Doctors have told that it is CVS and gave me Refresh tears or Extralube (Carboxymethyl cellulose sodium eye drops), Toba (Tobramycin) along with some vitamins and no spectacles were prescribed. But, I have not seen any improvement. So, I cannot work properly in the office. Please suggest some other eye drops for me. Thank you.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Your doctor has diagnosed it correctly. It is computer vision syndrome (CVS). Treatment includes blink, blink and blink a lot.
  • Do cold compresses. Do not use Tobramycin.
  • Take rest for five minutes after every two hours of work. Use antiglare glasses. Continue Refresh tears six times a day.
  • Follow 20-20-20 rule means blink 20 times after every 20 minutes by focusing on any object at 20 feet distance.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Is a spectacle required with any specific power? Why I am not getting out of this headache?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Glasses are required for any refractive error.
  • Headache is due to many causes like migraine, stress, sinusitis, lack of sleep, etc. All headaches are not due to the need of glasses.
  • Sometimes, when we do not wear glasses, we get headache. Only these patients will relieve from headache by wearing glasses.
  • If you have headache, it is better to consult your local physician for further physical evaluation.

For further clarifications consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Is there anything I can do about decompensated heterophoria?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had binocular, horizontal esotropia for two years now, worse on distant gaze. My ophthalmologist diagnosed it to be decompensated heterophoria. Is there anything I can do about it? I spend a lot of time writing and reading on my computer, could that make it worse?  Read Full »

My eyes become reddish and watery when exposed to bright light. Is it due to contact lens?

Query: Hi doctor, I am wearing contact lenses of -2.5 on both eyes. Since last week, whenever I get exposed to bright light (both indoor and outdoor), my eyelids get closed, and it is hard to get it open for a while, which makes eyes more reddish and watery. I have not consulted any doctor, but I have been...  Read Full »

Does the blood pressure medication could cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head. I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pres...  Read Full »