Q. Can pneumococcal vaccine be taken around 3. 5 years of age?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2021

My son is 3.5 years old, and he did not get his pneumococcal vaccine yet. When I asked about this, his pediatrician said that it is not a compulsory one. Even Rotavirus, I got it for my son with my own wish and was not instructed by his pediatrician. I was in my native for six months after delivery, and I moved to a new place when my son was 7 months old. The new pediatrician here also said that the pneumococcal vaccine is not necessary. Recently, I heard pneumococcal vaccine is a must. What shall I do now? Should I get it now for my son? Can he get it around 3.5 years of age? We are little confused about the missed pneumococcal vaccination. Whenever he is sick, I feel that the missed vaccine is the cause of the sickness. Please advise.

#

• There is nothing to be worried about, pneumococcal vaccine is not mandatory in your country, it is just optional. We, pediatricians, give it to susceptible babies like premature babies, babies who often fall sick, and leave the choice to parents for the rest of the babies as it is a costly vaccine.
  • One more thing we say to the parents is that it does not give 100 percent protection as it covers only a few strains causing pneumonia, so just relax and forget the guilt.
  • But if you are planning to go abroad you have to take a pneumococcal vaccine before going, as it is compulsory in few countries. Still, your child can be given a shot of pneumococcus vaccine so that he is protected.
  • The choice is yours, it is not a compulsion. If it is affordable to you, I suggest you go for a single shot so that you will not have that guilt of missing your child's vaccine.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|