Q. I am a pneumonia patient and suffering from back inspite of having medications. Kindly advice.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 03, 2019

I was diagnosed with pneumonia a few days ago, and I am on antibiotics and a muscle relaxant to help with my pains. My back is feeling the worst compared to everything else, and even when I am taking the muscle relaxants, it does not seem to help my left mid back fully. Could this be something else?

#

There are multiple causes of chest pain at that site. It can arise from lungs, muscle, or bone. The cardiac reason is unlikely. I need to know details of your symptoms like since when you have this pain, other symptoms, any prior illness, you can also upload your blood reports, X-ray and discharge summary or prescription if available for better analysis.

Since you are diagnosed with pneumonia, we would consider the pain to be arising from the lungs. The pain associated with pneumonia is called pleuritic Chest pain, and this kind of pain is sharp and increases on deep breathing. Muscle relaxant will not help in this kind of pain. For this kind of a pain, you will need tab Ibuprofen 400 or Diclofenac 50 mg whenever needed up to two times a day. So you can get this prescribed. It will resolve once your pneumonia is settled.

If it is continuing for a long duration, then we must rule out other causes, and we should get CECT (contrast-enhanced computed tomography) of chest done. Sometimes some patients may get post pneumonia pains, which takes a long time to resolve. I hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

|