Q. I am a pneumonia patient and suffering from back inspite of having medications. Kindly advice.

and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 30, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 03, 2019

I was diagnosed with pneumonia a few days ago, and I am on antibiotics and a muscle relaxant to help with my pains. My back is feeling the worst compared to everything else, and even when I am taking the muscle relaxants, it does not seem to help my left mid back fully. Could this be something else?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

There are multiple causes of chest pain at that site. It can arise from lungs, muscle, or bone. The cardiac reason is unlikely. I need to know details of your symptoms like since when you have this pain, other symptoms, any prior illness, you can also upload your blood reports, X-ray and discharge summary or prescription if available for better analysis.

Since you are diagnosed with pneumonia, we would consider the pain to be arising from the lungs. The pain associated with pneumonia is called pleuritic Chest pain, and this kind of pain is sharp and increases on deep breathing. Muscle relaxant will not help in this kind of pain. For this kind of a pain, you will need tab Ibuprofen 400 or Diclofenac 50 mg whenever needed up to two times a day. So you can get this prescribed. It will resolve once your pneumonia is settled.

If it is continuing for a long duration, then we must rule out other causes, and we should get CECT (contrast-enhanced computed tomography) of chest done. Sometimes some patients may get post pneumonia pains, which takes a long time to resolve. I hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

Why does my pain radiate from back to thigh?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old woman. I am suffering from a radiating pain that spreads from back to the lower half of the body. I have this issue since a year. It aggravates when I ride bike. Occasionally, the pain may also radiate upward. If I keep hard item then I get some relief. I am takin...  Read Full »

How to treat my upper back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, While sitting on a sofa, I was completely relaxed, and my body was lying unbalanced against it. Suddenly, I felt some pain that started in the upper back area. But it did not disappear even after I got up and did a lot of body straightening and stretching. It was minor. Particularly in ...  Read Full »

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full »