Q. I am having permanent rashes on the sides of my neck. What are they?

Published on Dec 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2018

I have had three scabs or sores on my body for a few months now and they did not heal. They are on my foot, back and hip. They are purple and red with a white dry patch over the top. They are extremely itchy. I also have a permanent rash on either side of my neck and outside my elbows. It is not a bumpy rash, more of red and has a silky feeling to it. I am slightly worried about what this could be. Please see the photos attached.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen your query and concern.

Over the neck, it seems that you have Poikiloderma of Civatte (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Poikiloderma of Civatte refers to redness associated with a mottled pigmentation seen on the sides of the neck, more common in women.

The cause is mainly chronic sun exposure. Prevention is to avoid sun exposure and to use sunscreens, avoid perfumes and cosmetics.

There is no specific medical treatment exists for poikiloderma of Civatte. Avoiding sun exposure and proper use of sunscreen are most important.

About sores or scab looks like lichen simplex chronicus. I suggest you HHSALIC ointment (Mometasone and Salicylic acid) twice daily for five days after consulting your GP.

I can make out a few acrochordons over your neck. For them, the treatment is radiofrequency cautery.

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Why is there slow healing of boils on my face?

Query: Hi doctor, Before eight months, I had boils on both sides of my face. Now, they left dark black marks. They are very stubborn and extremely hard to fade. They are gradually disappearing, but it is too slow. Please help.  Read Full »

How to Select a Sunscreen?

Article Overview: The most common questions in dermatological practice are which sunscreen to use and while going out in the sun what are the sun protection measures. The answers are here in this article. Read Article

Ultraviolet radiation like UVA and UVB has been well documented to have multiple effects on human skin. It not only causes skin cancer, but also cutaneous aging like seborrheic keratosis, photomelanosis (pigmentation on sun exposed parts), wrinkles, polymorphous light eruption, melasma, freckles, le...  Read Article

I have a red patch on my elbow that turned white. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a red patch on my elbow that turned to white. It used to itch but it stopped itching and it turned white after about three to four days (I have it for about a week now) and it got a little bit smaller.  Read Full »