Q. My daughter is diagnosed with PAN and multiple aneurysms. What is the treatment?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

My 21 years old daughter suffered from severe abdominal pain and vomiting one month back. I consulted a local physician for treatment. He gave some antibiotics, but no relief. I consulted gastrologist too. He prescribed some medicines, but no relief. He advised me to do the abdominal sonography; no abnormality found. I consulted Rheumatologist, and she was diagnosed with PAN. The doctor advised doing a CT angiogram. The CT angiogram showed multiple aneurysms. Previous CT has done eight years back.

She is currently taking Predace, Azoran 50 mg, Telma 40 bd, Stamlo 5 mg bd and Cizaspa-X.

#

I have gone through your query. The diagnosis of Polyarteritis nodosa looks quite certain. Microaneurysms, high blood pressure, and high CRP are favoring it as well. I understood that she had been started on steroids and Azoran (Azathioprine). My personal recommendation would be to go for Cyclophosphamide as it can shut off the disease quickly and decrease the incidence of relapses.

|