iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologypolycystic ovary syndromeCan I take Orlistat for weight loss if I have PCOS?

I have PCOS. Can I take pills for weight reduction?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 13, 2014
Reviewed AtJanuary 21, 2022

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am a 23 year old female. I weigh 49 kg. My height is 140 cm and my BMI is 25. I am getting married in a few months and need to shed a few pounds. I took Orlistat 60 mg capsules after breakfast and lunch. I bought it over the counter without a prescription. The same evening, I had constipation. I drank a lot of water and was fine at night. The next morning I passed an oily stool. I also noticed small spots of bleeding from my vagina.

I had my previous periods 15 days back which lasted for four days. I also have a problem ofPCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). I am scared if this tablet will affect my health. Please suggest if I should continue with Orlistat. Or can you recommend any other diet pills for weight loss?

Answered by Dr. Sugandh Garg


Welcome to icliniq.com.

You need not take this drug to reduce weight. I would recommend you to stop this drug.

An oily stool is normal with the medication you had taken. If you are already a diagnosed case of PCOS, consult a gynaecologist online and get it treated.

PCOS is a cause for overweight. This might also cause unwanted facial hair, infertility etc., later in life. Since you are getting married, it is very important that you get this disease treated at the earliest.

The vaginal bleeding needs clinical examination. An ultrasound scan has to be done and treated accordingly.

Modify your diet if you are very particular about reducing weight. Cut down fats, sugars, oil, alcohol if any, non-vegetarian food, etc.

Take a lot of fresh fruits, fresh juices, salads, soups, and green vegetables.

Drink plenty of water.

Gradually start brisk walking, exercise, yoga, pranayama, dance etc.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sugandh Garg
Dr. Sugandh Garg

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy