Q. I have PCOS. Can I take pills for weight reduction?

Dr. Sugandh Garg
Published on Oct 13, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 17, 2018

I am a 23 year old female. I weigh 49 kg. My height is 140 cm and my BMI is 25. I am getting married in a few months and need to shed a few pounds. I took Orlistat 60 mg capsules after breakfast and lunch. I bought it over the counter without a prescription. The same evening, I had constipation. I drank a lot of water and was fine at night. The next morning I passed an oily stool. I also noticed small spots of bleeding from my vagina.

I had my previous periods 15 days back which lasted for four days. I also have a problem ofPCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). I am scared if this tablet will affect my health. Please suggest if I should continue with Orlistat. Or can you recommend any other diet pills for weight loss?

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Toxicology
#

You need not take this drug to reduce weight. I would recommend you to stop this drug.

An oily stool is normal with the medication you had taken. If you are already a diagnosed case of PCOS, consult a gynaecologist online and get it treated.

PCOS is a cause for overweight. This might also cause unwanted facial hair, infertility etc., later in life. Since you are getting married, it is very important that you get this disease treated at the earliest.

The vaginal bleeding needs clinical examination. An ultrasound scan has to be done and treated accordingly.

Modify your diet if you are very particular about reducing weight. Cut down fats, sugars, oil, alcohol if any, non-vegetarian food, etc.

Take a lot of fresh fruits, fresh juices, salads, soups, and green vegetables.

Drink plenty of water.

Gradually start brisk walking, exercise, yoga, pranayama, dance etc.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

How to reduce weight through yoga?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old obese boy. My weight is 110 kg and I feel myself unfit. I want to start practicing yoga for weight loss. But, I do not know anything about yoga. I want to know, how to meditate and relax our body and mind?  Read Full >>

Dr. Omnath Alvoor
Naturopathy Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the data your weight is too high for an individual. You need to rebuild your lifestyle by giving time to exercise and yogic techniques. Especially fast rounds of suryanamaskara will help you with your problems. Start slowly and day by day increase the speed of prac...  Read Full

Causes of Male Infertility

Article Overview: This article tells the various reasons for male infertility. Read Article

In about 35 to 52 percent of childless couples, the male partner is the cause for infertility. This percentage is increasing in number nowadays because of the changes in the lifestyle of most of the males. Many men consume alcohol occasionally, increased smoking rate among young people, physical in...  Read Article

We are undergoing infertility treatment.Will this treatment cause birth defects in our child?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 24 years old and she has PCOD. We have been trying to conceive for the past 2 years, but no result. We went to infertility specialist six months ago. He started the treatment through medicines and one IUI. But, all the treatments failed. Then, he decided to go for IVF....  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concerns. ICSI (Intra-Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection) is the procedure in which a single sperm is selected and injected into an egg. ICSI is associated with a very negligible increase in birth defects (For example: rate of birth defects with natural co...  Read Full