Q. Can you please tell me the reason for the less period flow?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

The flow of my period is less for the last three months. Also, the color keeps on changing. Last month it was light red now it is dark red. Blood is also thick, and there are some lumps formation in the blood. Can you please tell me the reason?

#

I understand your concern. A lot of causes may cause reduced period flow.

Kindly let me know the following details:

1) Have you started exercising in the recent past?

2) Have you gained or lost weight in the recent past?

3) Have you started any new diet?

4) Are you on any medications?

5 ) Do you have excessive hair fall?

7) Has there been any excessive hair growth on your face, hands, and legs?

8) Is there any change in voice?

9) Is there a sudden flare-up of acne?

Answers to these questions will help diagnose the cause of the reduced flow.

I would also like to know the dates of your previous cycle and also if you have any similar complaints earlier. Kindly get back with the answers.

Thank you doctor for the reply,

I used to dance, but because of the pandemic, I am not doing it now. I have gained weight and also am taking medication for my asthmatic allergies. I take the tablet Monticope, which I guess has steroids. A little hair is grown on the face but not too much. Also, my voice has become a bit high-pitched.

#

With the history of weight gain, increased hair growth, the cause for the reduced flow PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). This is a condition that is caused by hormonal imbalance resulting in rescued ovulation and thus irregular periods or reduced flow.

It is a prevalent complaint in girls of your age. To diagnose, you need to get scans, thyroid profile, and hormone tests. After that, you will be started on combined contraceptive pills (hormonal pill) along with lifestyle changes.

Home remedies to regularise periods are:

1) Weight loss - at least 5 to 10 % of your present weight over three months.

2) Diet changes - cut down refined flour, white bread, and oils and increase fruits, nuts, and proteins.

3) Exercise for 30 minutes at least five days a week.

It is a very manageable condition. Kindly follow these, and you will be fine. Get back if you require any clarification.

|