Q. What does polycythemia (JAK 2 negative) mean?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

I am diagnosed with polycythemia (JAK 2 negative). I need more knowledge, my BM and JAK 2 studies are within normal limit.

#

Your present CBC report is not suggestive of polycythemia especially polycythemia vera which is blood cancer condition (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your JAK 2, EXON 12 study and bone marrow report is normal as per history. So polycythemia vera is very less likely. Your high hemoglobin could be due to secondary polycythemia cause. Secondary polycythemia is pure benign condition. The causes for that include respiratory problem, cardiac problem, smoking, severe dehydration, etc.

I suggest you drink lots of water especially three litres per day. Avoid smoking if having habit. It is advisable to repeat CBC again after a few days.

|