Q. Does a hematocrit of 49. 2 indicate polycythemia?

Dr. Abdul Aziz Khan
Published on Mar 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

My Hb is 15.8 but HCT is 49.2 and total RBC count is 5.63. What is the reason? I fear about polycythemia. Is it possible to reduce HCT?

Dr. Abdul Aziz Khan

Hematology Medical Oncology
#

If you are a smoker, then stop smoking.

At this stage, secondary polycythemia is more common than primary and smoking is the most common reason for secondary.

For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

I am not having the habit of smoking or alcohol. I am studying final year MBBS. If HCT touches 49.2, is this polycythemia?

Dr. Abdul Aziz Khan

Hematology Medical Oncology
#

Do not worry, repeat your CBC after four to six weeks time and upload the report.

With hemoglobin at 15.8, hematocrit should not be 49. Even if it is true, it is the upper limit of the normal range.

I suggest you repeat the test. If it is persistently high, you can do JAk 2 mutation and erythropoietin levels to rule out primary PV.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Why are my hematocrit, RBC, Hb, and mean cell volume elevated?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been feeling unwell for a long time. These are my recent blood results. My doctor says that my hematocrit, RBC count, hemoglobin and mean cell volume have been out of the normal range for at least 10 years as that is how far back he can see. I think it should be investigated. W...  Read Full »

What is your suggestion for polycythemia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I am suffering from polycythemia for the last two years. My Hb is 19.17 and HCT is 51.9. The doctors informed me that it is all due to smoking. Is there any serious problem with me? What will you suggest? Thank you.  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now