Q. Does a hematocrit of 49. 2 indicate polycythemia?

Dr. Abdul Aziz Khan
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

My Hb is 15.8 but HCT is 49.2 and total RBC count is 5.63. What is the reason? I fear about polycythemia. Is it possible to reduce HCT?

#

If you are a smoker, then stop smoking.

At this stage, secondary polycythemia is more common than primary and smoking is the most common reason for secondary.

For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

I am not having the habit of smoking or alcohol. I am studying final year MBBS. If HCT touches 49.2, is this polycythemia?

#

Do not worry, repeat your CBC after four to six weeks time and upload the report.

With hemoglobin at 15.8, hematocrit should not be 49. Even if it is true, it is the upper limit of the normal range.

I suggest you repeat the test. If it is persistently high, you can do JAk 2 mutation and erythropoietin levels to rule out primary PV.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|