Jak 2 Mutation

What is your opinion on the attached blood report of a diabetic patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing this for my brother. He is a diabetic and taking medicine from the last three years. He recently came to home for a short vacation and undergone health check-ups. After studying the reports, our family doctor pointed out certain elevated values like Hb, etc., and su...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read the attached report of your brother (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The main abnormal finding in CBC report is elevated red blood cells count and PCV. The hemoglobin level is also raised slightly. So, it is suggestive of polycythemia. It...  Read Full »

I am diagnosed with polycythemia (JAK 2 negative). Kindly explain.

Query: Hello doctor, I am diagnosed with polycythemia (JAK 2 negative). I need more knowledge, my BM and JAK 2 studies are within normal limit.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your present CBC report is not suggestive of polycythemia especially polycythemia vera which is blood cancer condition (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your JAK 2, EXON 12 study and bone marrow report is normal as per history. So polycythemia vera is...  Read Full »

If I quit smoking, will my RBC, hemoglobin, and PCV levels come back to normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from hypertension since few years, and I am currently on medication Telmisartan. I am an alcoholic and smoker, and I smoke approximately 15 cigarettes a day for the last five years. My current CBC report suggests high RBC, hemoglobin, and PCV. Though it reduced slightly...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The diagnosis is polycythemia. Polycythemia can be secondary or primary. Secondary polycythemia occurs because of hypoxia, which activates the oxygen sensor and more erythropoiet...  Read Full »

Is it possible to have low erythropoietin count and high RBC count together?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old male, 6 feet, and 180 lbs. I started a new job and the life insurance company wanted me to take a blood test. The results are attached. My blood test shows a low erythropoietin of 4.4 U/L (normal range 4.3 to 29) and high red blood cell count of 5.6x10^12/L (normal ...  Read Full »

Dr. Girish C Kamat

Internal Medicine Physician, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your hemogram and erythropoietin levels are normal. I would not evaluate you any further. They should not have asked for a hematology consultation, but if it is mandatory, get it done.  All the best and do well in your new job. For further queries consult a hematolog...  Read Full »

What are the reasons for high platelet count?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 46 year old diabetic female. My platelet count is high at 9 lakhs in routine CBC. My iron is normal. My USG showed hepatosplenomegaly and PBS showed microcytic hypochromic anisocytosis. What shall I do now?  Read Full »

Dr. Veerendra Patil

Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The platelet count is above the normal range. There are many reasons for such elevated platelet count. It needs further investigations, including genetic tests. The conditions like essential thrombocytosis could be considered with the available information from you. It...  Read Full »

I have increased RBC along with decreased MCV and MCH. What could be the reason?

Query: Hi doctor, If my complete blood count has high RBC value and low MCV and MCH values, what is the possible diagnosis for me?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. High RBC count is called polycythemia. If it is persistently high, then the cause should be evaluated. Respiratory causes like COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and cardiac causes can lead to secondary polycythemia. Primary polycythemia is a myeloproliferative...  Read Full »

Can I donate blood if my Hb value is high?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 34 years old. I went to donate blood today. But, the hospital rejected me as my Hb value is 16.9. Is this level abnormally high? Do I need to get any tests done?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your hemoglobin value is high and needs to be investigated. Let me know if your hematocrit values were checked. If it is high as well, the condition is polycythemia. The cause for polycythemia may be secondary to chronic hypoxia due to a chronic heart failure...  Read Full »

Why do I have persistently high Hb and HCT?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female. I have a history of celiac disease and a past medical history of Hodgkin's lymphoma, a stage 2 cervical lymph node and tumors in my chest. I had a blood test last week which showed B12 and folic acid deficiency, raised hemoglobin of 161 and raised hematocrit of ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having celiac disease in which because of malabsorption vitamin B12 deficiency and folate deficiency can occur. This deficiency also can be developed if polycythemia present in which proliferation more. Here hemoglobin and HCT is high as per history. Hence if it i...  Read Full »