Q. Why should I see a hematologist for high Hb and Hct?

Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda

I am really worried that my Hgb is 17.6 and Hct is 54.6. I have been recommended to consult a hematologist in cancer care center. I am bothered whether it is a major illness. Can you please help me out?

#

Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

• Your hemoglobin (Hb or Hgb) and hematocrit (Hct) is a bit high and hence further evaluation is being done.
  • If you are from a hill station or a smoker or with lung disorder then this may be normal. This is called as polycythemia (increase in red blood cells). It can occur normally too.
  • However, they are trying to rule out a condition called as polycythemia vera (abnormal increase in red blood cells), a blood cancer. They will be looking for a mutation called as JAK.
  • The hemoglobin is not high enough to evaluate earlier. However, to confirm that it is only physiological polycythemia and there is no cancer, the evaluation is being done.
  • Based on history, your hematologist will evaluate for further tests. Not to worry for now.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|