Q. What impact can receiving an award have on one's career?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 10, 2019

I am seeking insight from a psychological professional on how awards affect us. Why we give them? Why we deny them to others? And what impact it causes to the one who is receiving them or not has on one's career? Please explain both from the recipient or non-recipient perspective and from an employer mindset.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

The topic of effects of awards is complex. The awards act as positive reinforcement to any individual and thus the probability of repetition of behavior increases.

If we consider it from a psychological point, then if an individual is given award then it acts as an operant conditioner and the individual tends to seek another award. All this increase the probability of repetition of desired behavior.

If an individual is showing desired behavior but is not given reward then with time the occurrence of desired behavior decreases. So, reward acts as a method to get positive results, if we consider it in a company or in an organization.

If we consider it on the basis of a physiological point of view, then reward stimulates corticolimbic pathways. This cause release of Dopamine which helps in the feeling of pleasure. This pleasure results in repetition of behavior and increased work efficiency.

|