Q. What impact can receiving an award have on one's career?

Published on Jan 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 10, 2019

I am seeking insight from a psychological professional on how awards affect us. Why we give them? Why we deny them to others? And what impact it causes to the one who is receiving them or not has on one's career? Please explain both from the recipient or non-recipient perspective and from an employer mindset.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

The topic of effects of awards is complex. The awards act as positive reinforcement to any individual and thus the probability of repetition of behavior increases.

If we consider it from a psychological point, then if an individual is given award then it acts as an operant conditioner and the individual tends to seek another award. All this increase the probability of repetition of desired behavior.

If an individual is showing desired behavior but is not given reward then with time the occurrence of desired behavior decreases. So, reward acts as a method to get positive results, if we consider it in a company or in an organization.

If we consider it on the basis of a physiological point of view, then reward stimulates corticolimbic pathways. This cause release of Dopamine which helps in the feeling of pleasure. This pleasure results in repetition of behavior and increased work efficiency.

| 

Suffering from OCD(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Taking medicines, but I do not feel completely good. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) since last 10 years. Getting treated by a doctor with medicines. But I do not feel completely good. Many times I go into very sad mood. Please give me suggestions.  Read Full »

What can be done to manage hyperactivity in an autism child?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 7 years old. Diagnosed with mild autism when he was 3. Currently, showing hyperactivity, unable to sit still without supervision. Seems restless all the time. He has delayed speech development. He is not on any medication but under behavioral therapy.  Read Full »

Could you advise a possible treatment for my sleep problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a female of weight 60 kg and height 176 cm. I have been having extreme trouble with sleeping for about 18 months now. I struggle to get to bed, and when I finally do, I wake up once in one and a half hour or so and feel like the sleep is not a deep one. I feel like I have a restless ...  Read Full »