Q. Could you advise a possible treatment for my sleep problem?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 24, 2021

I am a female of weight 60 kg and height 176 cm. I have been having extreme trouble with sleeping for about 18 months now. I struggle to get to bed, and when I finally do, I wake up once in one and a half hour or so and feel like the sleep is not a deep one. I feel like I have a restless night sleep every night. I am currently taking 0.5 mg of Cabergoline a week for a benign pituitary gland tumor. My specialist has ruled this out being the cause of sleep trouble. I have tried supplements like magnesium, which did not work. I also have a set bedtime routine to help relax before sleep and limit phone use before bed. I have also tried things like warm milk before bed, which also has little effect. Could you please advise on other causes and possible treatment?

#

From your limited history, two plausible causes of your insomnia can be made out.

• Cabergoline is a dopamine agonist, which has stimulating properties. However, you cannot quit taking it because it is needed in your case.
  • Hypothalamus is connected to the pituitary both structurally and functionally. Hypothalamus is where the body clock is located (suprachiasmatic nucleus of hypothalamus). So, your sleep problem could be secondary to your benign pituitary tumor.
  • My suggestion would be trying melatonin supplements as it is the natural hormone which induces sleep. If melatonin supplements do not help, there is a melatonin agonist (functional substitute), Ramelteon. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.
  • Also, taking enough sun in the morning and keeping your bedroom dark at night are things that could help in tuning the body clock.

For further information consult a sleep medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sleep-medicine-physician

|