Q. Why do I feel weak, dizzy, numbness in face and jaws, and nasal congestion post-COVID?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 17, 2021 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2021

I am 25-years-old male, and I am working from home for the past eight months. I sit on a mattress and look at my monitor on the floor. I was tested positive for COVID-19 three months before. I had intercourse at that time, and after that, I am feeling weak, dizzy, lightheaded, numb, and pain in the face and jaws. I convinced myself that it is because of COVID and waited for the recovery.

A few weeks later, I was tested negative for COVID and got recovered entirely, but the numbness and weakness in my face, eyes, and jaw are still present.

I consulted two doctors for this, but they both gave different diagnoses. One said it is because of my blood pressure, while the other said it is after effects of COVID. I sleep a lot, but I could feel muscle pain in my chest and neck whenever I woke up. After about a month, I felt better. However, I was left with a stuffy nose. I feel weak, pain in my jaw and face, numbness, pressure in my head, and constant frustration. They said it is sinusitis and nasal congestion, and he said I have a stuffy nose as I work in bad posture. I look down too much into the monitor for the whole day. I need some assistance. He suggested doing a CT scan, but I have spent enough money already.

Kindly help.

#

I perfectly understand the issue you are facing. Many patients come to me with similar complaints, especially after the second wave of COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease-2019), which hit our country a few months before. We call these bizarre complaints the post-COVID sequelae.

Regarding the CT (computed tomography), if we have to find anything conclusive regarding what is happening inside the nasal cavities, we have only two options, the CT and nasal endoscopy. One of these is necessary for us to make a decisive diagnosis about what is bothering you.

However, considering your situation where you have already spent a lot of money on healthcare, I suggest you try these medicines before we go ahead with these tests. Kindly start taking medication as soon as possible and revert after three days. If there is an improvement, we shall continue these without doing any of the tests envisaged.

Kindly take the following;

1) Tablet Allegra 120 mg (Fexofenadine hydrochloride) once daily, preferably two hours before bedtime.

2. Flomist nasal spray (Fluticasone furoate) two puffs in each nostril twice daily.

3) Vitamin C 1000 mg once daily.

Let us see how you progress with these, and then we can review in three to four days.

|