Q. Post wisdom tooth extraction, I get a white patch of tissue near surgical site. Is that scar tissue?

Dr. Honey Arora
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2020

Approximately one week ago, I had my wisdom teeth removed. On my lower left, I have a dry socket, which I am getting treated for via packing (at least I think that is what it is called). On the right side, healing is just fine, however, I noticed some white stuff lodged in the gum. I am not sure if it is food or scar tissue because when I tried to get it out with a toothpick, it did not come out very easily, so I left it alone. Is this food or scar tissue? It is mildly bothersome.

I brush my teeth but know to be careful around the surgical sites so they do not get irritated. It seems like a lot of plaque builds up back there because of this, and I am not quite sure what to do. Also, there is a very small spot of red gums on the front side of my second molar. I put a bit of mouthwash on it with a toothpick and left it alone.

I have two questions, what is the whitish stuff that feels like food trapped in my healing gum socket? And what is this small patch of irritated gum on my second molar? Any help is appreciated.

I am currently on Celexa (for depression), 600 mg of Ibuprofen (for wisdom tooth pain).

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentistry Oral Implantologist
#

As it is just one week of wisdom teeth extraction, the white stuff seems to be most probably healing tissue only. It is a normal appearance of healing tissue post-extraction.

A white patch of irritated gum can be due to injury or ulceration that can be due to accidental injury with the extraction instrument or can be due to injury with a toothbrush or any hard food.

You can apply Chlorhexidine gel over it. Do warm saline gargles, antiseptic mouthwash gargles and brush your teeth twice a day for keeping plaque and deposits less accumulated.

| 

Why is there pain at the site of wisdom tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a wisdom tooth and an adjacent molar removed two days ago. Everything has healed nicely except a very painful white spot in the very back of my cheek next to the extraction site. What could this be? I have attached photographs for your reference.  Read Full »

How long does the pain last after wisdom tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, I had all four impacted wisdom teeth out a week ago. The pain has been absolutely horrible which I knew it would be. However, my left side has healed very well, is no longer swollen with minimal sensitivity. Now my right side is still as swollen as day two or three. It is hard, sensi...  Read Full »

I have plaque deposits on my teeth. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,I have plaque deposits on my teeth and gums. My gums bleed often, and they are receding. Please help.  Read Full »