Q. Why do I have hair on my chin and upper lip since two years?

Dr. Mohammad Saquib Alam

I am a 51-year-old female. I have hair on my chin and my upper lip. This has been happening past two years. I am not on any medications or vitamins. There are no other symptoms, but I would like to know if there is a solution. Please help.

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. It could be due to hirsutism. I would need a few tests like follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH), prolactin test, testosterone level test, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate test (DHEAS), abdominal ultrasonography with the pelvis to evaluate the exact cause for this. Are you having your periods, or are you post-menopausal? Is the hair only on the face or other places like chest, breast, hands, and abdomen? Have you ever taken contraceptive pills? Or any hormone replacement therapy? Have you suffered from polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) at any time? Is the hair thin or coarse? If possible, do send an image of this.

Thank you for your response.

No, I do not get my periods anymore. It has been three years since my last period. I am post-menopausal. And I do not have hair anywhere else. It is only on the face. Also, I do not take any birth control pills or hormone pills. And I have never suffered from PCOS. Lastly, the hair on my chin looks thin.

#

Based on your answers, it could be simple post-menopausal hirsutism, common in the post-menopausal age group. But to be sure you should get the tests, which I have mentioned earlier. Once the reports are normal, there are many treatment modalities, including oral contraceptive pills, anti-androgen drugs, cosmetic treatments like laser hair ablation and electrolysis.

I hope this helps you.

|