Q. PTSD following domestic and sexual abuse. How to come out of it?

Answered by
Dr. Poosha Darbha
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

Hi doctor,

PTSD is controlling my life. I was raped six to seven times and faced domestic abuse for four months until I escaped. Each time sex has been hard for me. After the domestic abuse, it is so bad that I have to stop in some strokes and if not then I will throw up on them.Sometimes it happens with just fingers in me. Though I remind myself that I am safe, my body cannot understand it. Why is it like this? It has been happening for years. Does that mean it will happen forever? Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Thank you for sharing your concern with me. I can understand your situation and feelings.

I can assure you that this is not going to be with you forever. You would benefit from counseling and therapeutic techniques such as cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) by a clinical psychologist experienced in handling of PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) following sexual trauma.

I am sure you may have gone through some self-help resources and may have got in touch with support groups. If you did not, then please do so. Some groups can prove really helpful.

A commonly followed helpful technique is to write down the whole traumatic experiences several times (and read them aloud to yourself in privacy, and of course destroy the papers immediately). This can be very painful in the first one or two instances, but soon the pain recedes and you will feel much much better with each rewriting episode. Do this until you no longer experience that intense stress.

And every moment, keep in mind that its not your fault and its those who perpetrated that should be guilty. With counseling and therapy you will find positive changes sooner and would be able to improve the quality of life. My best wishes to you.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
How can a person with PTSD, depression and anxiety be treated?

Hello doctor,What is your recommendation for someone with PTSD, depression, and anxiety ... If a person is suffering from PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder), depression and anxiety, they w...   Read full

Is there any way to cure PTSD and bipolar disorder?

.. your query and understand your concerns. I would like to inform you that most of the psychiatric medications take too long to show effects on individuals. Since you were prescribed Risperidone just a week back, there is no need to wait for more t...   Read full

My father is having negative thoughts and vivid dreams. Why?

.. may have PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). It is less likely to be due to glioma. The symptoms of a vision problem and memory loss are due to gliomas. You can give him a small dose of antidepressants and Benzodiazepine for the sleep disturban...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

My husband is not interested in sex. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,My husband is not interested in sex from the first day of our marriage? We had intercourse only twice in a month to the maximum. Also, he is very aggressive and argumentative in behavior. What to do?  Read Full »

My cousin touched me in my private parts. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 18 year old girl. My cousin brother is kidding me and touching me in some private parts. He is also doing the same with my fellow cousin sisters. But I am not quite sure what it is? Please help me to find a way. Thank you.  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.