Q. PTSD following domestic and sexual abuse. How to come out of it?

Dr. Poosha Darbha
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hema

PTSD is controlling my life. I was raped six to seven times and faced domestic abuse for four months until I escaped. Each time sex has been hard for me. After the domestic abuse, it is so bad that I have to stop in some strokes and if not then I will throw up on them.Sometimes it happens with just fingers in me. Though I remind myself that I am safe, my body cannot understand it. Why is it like this? It has been happening for years. Does that mean it will happen forever? Please help.

Do you have a question on Ptsd or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Poosha Darbha

PHD
Sexology

Thank you for sharing your concern with me. I can understand your situation and feelings.

I can assure you that this is not going to be with you forever. You would benefit from counseling and therapeutic techniques such as cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) by a clinical psychologist experienced in handling of PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) following sexual trauma.

I am sure you may have gone through some self-help resources and may have got in touch with support groups. If you did not, then please do so. Some groups can prove really helpful.

A commonly followed helpful technique is to write down the whole traumatic experiences several times (and read them aloud to yourself in privacy, and of course destroy the papers immediately). This can be very painful in the first one or two instances, but soon the pain recedes and you will feel much much better with each rewriting episode. Do this until you no longer experience that intense stress.

And every moment, keep in mind that its not your fault and its those who perpetrated that should be guilty. With counseling and therapy you will find positive changes sooner and would be able to improve the quality of life. My best wishes to you.

My husband is not interested in sex. What to do?
Query: Hi doctor,My husband is not interested in sex from the first day of our marriage? We had intercourse only twice in a month to the maximum. Also, he is very aggressive and argumentative in behavior. What to do?  Read Full >>
Dr. Parth Singh
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your husband is not taking any interest from the beginning of your marriage, then something is seriously wrong. Did you find any behavioral abnormalities in him? For example, remaining aloof and withdrawn, poor socialization, etc. Lack of interest in a young is rarely...  Read Full

My cousin is touching me in my private parts. What shall I do?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 18 year old girl. My cousin brother is kidding me and touching me in some private parts. He is also doing the same with my fellow cousin sisters. But I am not quite sure what it is? Please help me to find a way. Thank you.  Read Full >>
Dr. Pankaj Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems to be sexual abuse as described by you, so keep in mind the following things: Be firm and warn him. If he did not stop, then go straight to your parents, talk to them and tell all other cousins also. Do not allow him for taking any advantages, which you think unu...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now