Q. How to deal with post-traumatic stress disorder?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

I am a 19-year-old sensitive and emotional male. To elaborate, I happened to view a gunshot three months ago in our vicinity. It was a local mob fight. I was present at that spot hiding behind the trash cans. Luckily I was not shot dead. They shot a lady and then stamped on her and abused her. My heart was pounding, and I had never uttered a word since that incident. I just escaped the spot safely. Since then, I frequently get nightmares almost every night. I lost my sleep, appetite, and mental peace. I find interest in nothing, and it is hard to live. I do not socialize with anyone, and no one can understand what is happening to me. Please help me out, doctor. I hope you understand what I am going through. What has happened to me?

#

Thank you for taking help from a psychiatrist. I can understand your concern. You may have post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). However, you can manage it without medications if you follow the below guidelines.

1. You should do exercises daily for 30 to 45 minutes, like at least going for a walk. If possible, join the gym or swim. It will boost your confidence in yourself.

2. You should do meditation for 20 minutes daily, sit at one place in a comfortable position and try to concentrate on your normal breathing, do not stop or force yourself to stop your thoughts. Just let it be. It will help you to relax.

3. You should eat healthy home-cooked foods and avoid junk foods.

4. You must drink enough water.

5. You should spend quality time with friends and family daily or do video calls if you live away from your family.

6. You should spend time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, and learning new skills, languages, or musical instruments.

7. You should get seven to eight hours of sleep daily.

8. It would be best to avoid tobacco or alcohol or any substance abuse.

9. Live your life, do not just spend it.

10. Be bold and confident.

11. Do not be afraid of anyone.

12. Stop overthinking.

If you still have symptoms that persist after following the advice for four to six weeks, then you need to start medications for a short duration. I hope that you get your answer. Please, let me know if you want some help. Thank you.

|