Q. I felt pain in my testicle, groin, and abdomen after a vasectomy. Will I have it for the rest of my life?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I had a vasectomy two months back, and I had extreme pain with ejaculation the first several times and severe pain. Meanwhile, I felt testicle pain and radiation of pain to my groin snd abdomen with some nausea. So I did the NSAIDs protocol, and it never resolved. So the urologist gets a granuloma and decided to open it back up, remove the granuloma, remove the clips, and leave the testicular ends open. I am ten days out and have constant soreness in testicles and about a three to four constant groin pain that usually in evening hours will flare up to like a nine to ten bad that I get worried. I searched on the internet snd see these chronic scrotal pain syndrome and concern it is me. I know I am probably over-anxious, but I have not been sleeping or eating, worrying, and waiting for the pain to resolve. Do chronic syndrome start immediately after the procedure, and are my symptoms consistent with that or recovery pain? How long could recovery take the worst-case scenario so I can at least have some idea of when to hope for the end? Is my doctor considering a steroid injection into my spermatic cord to help expedite healing? Will that help? Is that a good idea? When she looked inside the second time, the cremaster was all inflamed, and there was a knot she said that made the testicle higher than it should be and saw a lot of inflammation, which would cause the nerves in The cord to transmit pain from testicles and upward? Is this a good working theory for my problem as I am just healing slow, and there is a lot of inflammation on the cords? With open-ended, it is unlikely to get the pressure build-up or other issues with closed over time? Also, PVPs (post-vasectomy pain syndrome) does that start right after the procedure? Are my symptoms at all connected to a chronic syndrome? How long worse case can it take to feel 100 percent from the procedure? Any chance of ejaculation intensity difference in an open-ended procedure versus prior? How does pain from procedure become a chronic issue, and what goes wrong generally? Could pain from a vasectomy last the rest of my life? I see research online. It can be chronic, and people blog about pain for 10 to 15 years? How common is that, and why does that happen to them? Am I worried about nothing? Thoughts and should I be worried, or am I just a slow healer. I am currently taking Gabapentin for pain, Omeprazole, and Advil 600.

#

Thanks for consulting us.

Your pain after vasectomy, which was done three months back, reexploration and removal of the granuloma, and persistent pain in the testis, might be due to PVPS (post-vasectomy pain syndrome). But a diagnosis of pain syndrome is when this pain continues for more than three months from your last procedure.

Dear patient, pain after the procedure can take up to three months to resolve. We cannot label it as chronic pain because chronic pain should be more than three months. Steroids can reduce inflammation but will delay healing. It can be helpful if you have inflammation. In my opinion, you need to give the first three months' full-time for recovery. Then follow-up with an ultrasound of the scrotum. After that, if the pain is persisting, then you can try steroids or injectable nerve blocks to the groin. I hope as this pain appeared after the procedure, it will resolve with no issues.

The type of procedure and ejaculation makes no difference, and it will not affect the ejaculation. Please follow-up after three months from the last procedure with ultrasound scrotum. If you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards.

|