Q. I have been getting flashes in eye during the night. Please help.

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Published on Nov 30, 2019

I have been getting flashes on my right eye during the night. It is either a white or orange light. I am concerned.

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Flashes may be due to central cause like irritation in brain for example in migraine (half sided headache) people can see flashes of pattern of light. Do you have any headaches while observing these flashes? Or some local cause in eye can cause flashes. Sometimes jelly in the back of eye starts liquefying and detaches or pulls the retina that can cause flashes of light. This liquefacation of vitreous and its detachment is an aging process but it can occur in young people after some trauma, in high myopia (using minus glasses), or any surgery. This process is called posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). Sometimes (not always) PVD can be associated with a break in retina that can cause floaters or curtain in the vision. That is an emergency for eye examination. So you can visit your eye doctor for a complete eye examination. He or she will guide you accordingly.

| 

Headache, Sinusitis, and Migraine - an Approach to Diagnosis

Article Overview: One of the most common complaints of patients in general and ENT practice is a headache. And in chronic cases, it might be due to sinusitis, termed as sinus headache or trigeminal migraines. Symptoms of "sinus headache" include persistent pain or pressure over the cheeks and around or behind the eyes. Other symptoms include nasal congestion, nasal blockage, and it occurs for more extended periods. Sometimes, patients with headache do not have sinusitis, and it turns out to be a trigeminal migraine. Read Article

Dr. Abid Khan

It is believed by physicians and patients as well that when symptoms of pressure or pain is present over the cheeks and around the eyes, then it is a sinus headache. It makes sense as well, but surprisingly, most of the patients (around 60 to 70 %) that land in ENT clinic as "sinus headache," turn o...  Read Article

Why am I noticing peripheral flashes with eye floaters?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past three weeks, I have had my normal right eye floaters seem strange. I noticed peripheral flashes when blinking and walking and quick black narrow lines. I saw an ophthalmologist. He found the retina to be fine. I now have some flashes around peripheral in the right eye and...  Read Full »

Why am I seeing flashes of light in side vision?

Query: Hello doctor, Sometimes I see flashes of light as kind of line in the side vision. That too where more light focus is there on the walls, etc. That too if I observe clearly.  Read Full »