Q. Is it normal to see flashes of light in side vision?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Sometimes I see flashes of light as kind of line in the side vision. That too where more light focus is there on the walls, etc. That too if I observe clearly.

#

Such flashes of light can be seen in a number of different conditions. A retinal examination will be able to rule out the more dangerous ocular cause-retinal detachment. Usually, such flashes can be seen in posterior vitreous detachment, which is a benign age-related condition and does not require any treatment. The last possibility is of fortification spectra seen in migraine. These are usually immediately followed by a migrainous headache.

To put all of this in a nutshell, in case you have any drop in vision, a sensation of multiple floating objects or non-seeing areas in your field of vision, I advise you to get a second opinion. In case you have flashes accompanied by headaches, meet with a neurologist. In case you just have flashes and no other problems, given that you have a normal retina, I suggest that you just observe your condition for a while and get back to your ophthalmologist in case of any changes in symptoms.

|