Q. Why do my eyes get red when I stop eye drops after a retinal detachment surgery?

Dr. Manish Mahabir

I have had a retinal detachment surgery 7.5 months back with silicon oil. Four months back silicon oil was removed and at the same time cataract surgery was also done. This was my right eye. The vision in the eye is 6/9 with glasses in the operated eye and 6/6 in the other one. Since the first surgery 7.5 months back I am on Predforte eye drops. When I taper them off to 1, the eye starts getting red. My last eye exam was a month back and the retina specialist suggested to have one drop morning and evening for another 14 days. He said there is a subtle infection in the eye. However, when I stopped taking the drops after 15 days, the eye got red again and I restarted it and the redness was gone. I am worried about when I will be able to stop it. Can you please explain what may be the reason and how harmful it is to continue? The eye doctor (retina specialist) asked me to recheck after three months.

Dr. Manish Mahabir

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

You might be suffering from inflammation, not infection. A steroid is usually given to control inflammation. The principle is to continue on the lowest possible dose of steroid which can keep inflammation in control. In the meantime, it is important to keep an eye on side effects of a steroid-like rise in intraocular pressure. You are on a low dose, you can continue but check with your surgeon periodically. Take care.

| 

Yes, you are right. The doctor during last visit has referred to inflammation rather than infection. My eye pressure is normal (every visit they are found normal but as a precaution, I am asked to use the Timolet drops twice daily which I am using regularly. If you suggest I can go to the clinic for checking the pressure every month. My next visit is after a month. Do you think I can wait till that time? Please advise.

Dr. Manish Mahabir

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

If you are on twice a day drop of steroid, keep using Timolol twice a day. You can get your pressure checked after 12 weeks. Kind regards. Take care.

|