Q. Had hysterectomy long back and spotting now. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

I am spotting for the past three days. I had complete hysterectomy about 23 years ago and I am not sexually active. Why am I spotting? Should I be concerned? I am currently on Plavix, Aspirin and Lipitor.

#

• Yes, this is a postmenopausal bleeding and definitely needs a consultation.
  • As you had a total hysterectomy, I presume it could be due to atrophic vaginitis. This can occur when your dry vagina gets torn following any kind of friction.
  • I suggest you to stop sex for a few days. Obviously, you need a clinical examination by your GP (general practitioner).
  • If it is truly an atrophic vaginitis, then you need some estrogen cream to apply locally as well as some lubricants during sex.

Postmenopausal bleeding.

1. Vaginal infection.
2. Vulval growth.

Atrophic vaginitis.

Use lubricants during sex.

Revert back for further doubts to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|