Q. Why am I still having periods in my fifties, despite of all the normal findings?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I am in my mid-fifties and I have a query regarding menopause.

I am still having my periods. For this, I had consulted a doctor around two years back. She had suggested DNC because at that time I was having heavy flow but, it did not help much. After that, she had advised Mirena and I got that done too.

Later, we shifted to a new city where I consulted another doctor. She had put me on the tablet Primolut-N twice daily for 21 days. This continued for six months. She reduced it to 15 days and then to seven days. This course started around one year back and continued for the entire year. After stopping the treatment, I got my period the next month and, then after six months. The flow had also reduced. However, it again became regular after that and sometimes continued for 15 days (spotting).

Last month, I visited my doctor again and she again gave me the tablet Primolut-N. Later in the month, I stopped the medicine and I got my period three days back. I also got an ultrasound done in the last month but everything was normal, the uterus, ovaries, etc. are all in good condition. The endometrial lining was 4.3 mm thick.

Does it seem normal to you? Is it fine to have periods till this age? Is it safe to take the tablet Primolut-N for so long? How long do I have to suffer like this? Is there any other option to stop the periods?

#

Thank you for the query.

The mean age of menopause is 51 years, so periods at the age of mid-fifties are less common.

The tablet Progesterone is generally safe but side-effects like mood changes, breast tenderness, breakthrough bleeding in the initial years of menopause are seen.

As you said, your endometrial lining was 4.3 mm thick, I would still recommend you to go for a hysteroscopy-directed biopsy to rule out any abnormal or cancer cells.

Are there any risk factors like diabetes, high B.P (blood pressure), family history of delayed menopause or any type of cancer to be ruled out?

If everything comes out to be normal, then Mirena insertion, injection, or oral Progesterone, the tablet Ormeloxifene can be considered.

If not relieved by medical methods, then you can go for a hysterectomy.

Hope it helps.

|