Q. Is painful heavy menstrual flow after IUD placement a serious condition?

Dr. Suchada Chaiwechakarn
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 23, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I had the Skyla IUD inserted two months ago to lighten my very heavy menstrual flows hopefully. My first period after insertion was very heavy and painful, more than usual, but I heard that was likely to happen. It lasted for two and a half weeks. Since then, I have had spotting daily, some days heavier than others, but very frequent. I also have been experiencing mild cramping and bleeding after intercourse. Is this a dangerous condition?

#

Irregular bleeding is the most common side effects of hormonal IUD (intrauterine device). You should expect irregular bleeding or vaginal spotting for six to eight weeks after the insertion. I recommend you to reach inside your vagina and feel the string. If you can feel the string the chance that IUD is in the right place is very high so you should not worry too much. Taking Motrin (Ibuprofen) and applying heating pads should help with cramping. The string should be checked by yourself now and then to make sure it is still in the right place.

|