Q. Other than natural methods, what can I do to delay my periods?

and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

I am a 52-year-old female. I had my last period two months back. Last month I did not have my periods. Now I have a function at home that I need to attend around the same date as my periods. I tried a natural method to prepone my periods, but it did not work. I need your help to postpone my period. Kindly advise.

Thanks.

#

As your cycle is irregular now, and you seem to be in your perimenopausal age group, it is still unsure whether you would get your menses this month or not. But if you want to be safe, I suggest getting an ultrasound pelvis done to check for endometrial thickness, and if the endometrial thickness is less than 5 mm, then there is no need to take any medication because you would not get your menses; but if it is more than 8 mm, then I suggest you take Progesterone-only pills for next seven to ten days (as long as you wish to avoid menses) from tomorrow itself. Once stopped, then in the next three to seven days, you can experience withdrawal bleed or menses.

I hope you find the reply useful.

|