Q. My fiance is having diabetes type 2. Will she face any problem during pregnancy?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
Published on Sep 25, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 10, 2018

My fiance is having diabetes type 2. And I want to know what will be the impact in the following scenario. Can she postpone her period by eight days as we have some rituals to perform during our wedding? What will be the impact if she uses contraceptive pills in case of birth control? Will she face any problem during pregnancy?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I read through your query and understood your concern.

She can take Progesterone tablets (Medroxyprogesterone 10 mg twice daily) to postpone her period. These tablets may increase the requirement of antidiabetic medicines (tablets/insulin). So, she needs to monitor her blood sugar level (at least two to three times during the period she is taking tablets) to make sure that sugar control is fine.

Contraceptive pills used nowadays are low dose pills and have little or no impact on diabetes. Even if sugar levels increase, it can be treated by increasing the dose of antidiabetic medicines. So, she can use low dose contraceptive pills. Just consult your physician before starting those pills to make sure that the medicines do not interact with each other.

During pregnancy, if her sugar control is fine from three months before pregnancy, during pregnancy and till delivery of the baby, there will practically be no problem to the mother and baby. If sugar control is not good, there may be many problems about which there is no need to worry right now.

Revert back to a gynaecologist online for further queries --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Pregnancy and Birth

Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna...  Read Article

Had gestational diabetes during pregnancy. How to control my sugar levels now?

Query: Hello doctor, I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy. I did not take any medications. I controlled it through diet. I delivered a boy baby. Three days after the delivery, my sugar levels were checked, and they were found to be normal. Yesterday, I checked again and found my fasting blood su...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can take seven to eight weeks for your sugar levels to become normal. Your fasting sugar is normal, but your postprandial is a little high. Do not take only rice in your diet. Try to take a complete food. This will not affect the baby's digestion. I suggest you cont...  Read Full