Q. Delayed periods even after taking Gestin. What is the reason?

Dr. Sabita Laskar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2019

I am suffering with delayed periods. Consulted a gynecologist and started Gestin since 1 week. But still have not got my periods. Home pregnancy tests done and turned out to be negative thrice. Please help.

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Tablet Gestin (Allylestrenol) contains natural progesterone, which is given for 5 days to bring about withdrawal bleeding.

You have not mentioned how long you have taken the drug.

Withdrawal bleeding usually occurs 48 hours after stopping the drug to up to 7 days.

If you are still in that period, then you should wait for your period to commence.

If you are over that, then I suggest you to do certain tests like transvaginal sonography, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and AMH (anti-mullerian hormone testing).

Considering your age, you could be in your perimenopause (stage nearing menopause) where menstrual irregularities are common.

Revert back after the tests to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

My fiancee had two I-pills within 10 days. Was that necessary?

Query: Hi doctor, My fiancee was undergoing her menstrual cycle between 30th of last month till the third of this month. We had an unprotected intercourse during that time, and she did not take any contraceptives. Two weeks later, on the 16th of this month, we had unprotected sex again. This time she took ...  Read Full »

Delayed period after abortion. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 23 years old. Two months back she had abortion. After abortion she is taking Folic acid and Ecosprin 75. Last month her period lasted for around 14 days and then doctor gave her Sandoz medication. This month her period date already has passed far off but still she is not hav...  Read Full »

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »