Q. Why do I feel dizzy when I get up suddenly?

Dr. Vandana Andrews
This is a premium question & answer published on May 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

Almost everytime I suddenly get up from sitting or laying, I feel very dizzy for about five to 10 seconds. I am better the longer I stand, it is just initially I am dizzy. I recently had a CBC, blood glucose, thyroid, and kidney function test that came back normal and during my physical exam, my doctor said I seem perfectly healthy. What could be the cause of this? It is like orthostatic hypotension but why would I have it?

#

It is very common to feel this way when one suddenly changes his/her position from lying down to standing very abruptly.

One should not abruptly stand up from lying position. It happens due to the sudden flow down extremities from above. So, due to a sudden change in circulation, it can lead to that. It is advised that you always get up slowly to avoid further similar episodes.

I hope you find this helpful.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|