Q. What causes balancing problems in a baby?

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Age of the child: 20 Months

Gender: Male

Weight: 12 Kilograms

Height: 30 inches

Started Walking: 15 Months

Started Sitting: 5 months

Started Crawling: 12 months

Problem:

My baby has started walking at the age of 15 months and is very active. He runs, jumps, rolls, and can climb stairs with the help of an adult. And can speak 2 words sentences. The problem we are facing is a balance issue. He is an active child but has an issue in maintaining good posture and is easy to fall. When standing straight and static an observer can feel that he is dizzy and swings slightly left and right to maintain the balance. He also has lazy neck control.

At 2 months of age he suffered from “Torticollis” which we have managed to minimize by exercises recommended by other pediatrics. He also has digestion problems since birth and has loose motion after 1 week. He has also slight drooling.

My question: Is this balance probelm common in this age group or should we choose to consult an in-person doctor which I am avoiding due to COVID-19 crisis as the hospitals are crowded.

#

First, let me appreciate you for describing whatever your child has appropriately. As you have said that the baby has just started walking about 5 months ago, the problem with balance could be just his learning curve. Kids normally do fall while learning to walk, am sure even you will be aware of that. He is able to walk, rule and climb stairs only means he is growing normally.

Now, to say if the balancing issue is normal or not you can make a small video of it and show me. It is difficult to say without seeing the baby. Let us assume that it is a part of normal development, then you do not have to go to a doctor and you do not have to worry about it. Now, if we assume that it could be because of a physical problem, the child will have to be examined. My advise is to wait till he completes 2 years. If the problem still persists, then you have to go to a doctor.

|