Q. Shall I use oxygen concentrator to do pranayama?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I do not have any existing problem. I live in a very congested neighborhood and it is very much polluted. I would like to do pranayama basically for my well being and mental peace. Shall I use an oxygen concentrator to do pranayama? What precautions should I take? I am not any regular medication. Thank you.

#

• First of all, I congratulate you for considering pranayama yoga for healthy lifestyle.
  • As you said you do not have any existing problem, I do not recommend oxygen for pranayama regularly.
  • Because, oxygen is a medicine. If you do not have any disease, then you should not use it unnecessarily.
  • It should only be reserved for oxygen desaturation because of lung disease.
  • You can maintain enough oxygen concentration in your body by doing pranayama or any other yoga, regular exercise and running.
  • Even if the atmosphere surrounding you is polluted, it is not good to use concentrator for oxygen as it will harm your body instead of helping you.
  • So, I clearly recommend not to use oxygen concentrator for pranayama. You should do it on room air oxygen. I hope the concept is clear to you.

For further doubts consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

| 

Please suggest yoga asanas that would improve blood flow to testicles.

Query: Hi doctor, Please suggest me the yoga names to improve blood flow to the testicles. I have weak erections, watery semen, and loss of libido. I am taking Pantogem DSR for indigestion and Stalopam plus for stress. My local doctor prescribed these medicines.  Read Full »

How does yoga help senior citizens?

Query: Hi doctor, What are the health benefits and trends for yoga for senior citizens? Are there studios that have classes or professionals that cater to this demographic? Why choose yoga over other forms of fitness and stretching?  Read Full »

I talk to myself and overthink a lot. How can I get rid of this?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old girl. I do have a habit of talking to myself about each and everything whenever I am free. I overthink a lot about any situation that what will happen if I do this, etc. It is very difficult for me to let go something, whether they are people or anything else. I th...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Pulmonologist Now