Q. Shall I use oxygen concentrator to do pranayama?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I do not have any existing problem. I live in a very congested neighborhood and it is very much polluted. I would like to do pranayama basically for my well being and mental peace. Shall I use an oxygen concentrator to do pranayama? What precautions should I take? I am not any regular medication. Thank you.

#

• First of all, I congratulate you for considering pranayama yoga for healthy lifestyle.
  • As you said you do not have any existing problem, I do not recommend oxygen for pranayama regularly.
  • Because, oxygen is a medicine. If you do not have any disease, then you should not use it unnecessarily.
  • It should only be reserved for oxygen desaturation because of lung disease.
  • You can maintain enough oxygen concentration in your body by doing pranayama or any other yoga, regular exercise and running.
  • Even if the atmosphere surrounding you is polluted, it is not good to use concentrator for oxygen as it will harm your body instead of helping you.
  • So, I clearly recommend not to use oxygen concentrator for pranayama. You should do it on room air oxygen. I hope the concept is clear to you.

For further doubts consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|