Q. I am a 35-year-old female trying for my second pregnancy. Can I use a wig glue?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I am a 35-year-old female trying for my second pregnancy, and my first delivery happened around three years back. I have been using wig glues as I struggle with severe hair loss due to genetic reasons. I started the glue application a month ago and have applied it a couple of times. However, since it is directly applied to my scalp every month, I am worried about the harmful effects it could cause on my body, especially as I am planning for a baby later this year. The ingredients present in the glue I use are; Acrylic Adhesive, Isopropanol, Ethyl Acetate, Heptane, and Toluene. Could you please guide me regarding the following; If I should stop using the wig glue? Since I have already used the glue, will there be any long-term effects on me or the baby? Or should I wait for a considerable period before trying for pregnancy?

Please help.

#

Firstly, I appreciate your awareness of pre-pregnancy planning.

To be cautious during pregnancy, I suggest you attain a weight reduction of around 10 % by adopting a healthy and active lifestyle.

Owing to the application of glue, the impact of its ingredients is as follows;

1) Acrylic Adhesive does not have any known side effects on pregnancy, hence can be used.

2) The effects of Isopropanol on pregnancy are still not apparent.

3) Ethyl Acetate may have adverse effects on pregnancy.

4) Heptane and Toluene are not considered safe during pregnancy as some studies suggest they can cause birth defects.

Although the effects of these ingredients individually are known, their reaction when combined to form glue is unclear. Also, it is unclear if the glue applied before getting pregnant could cause any side-effect in pregnancy. Therefore, I suggest you look for some alternate solutions when you start planning pregnancy.

Stay assured and start taking Folic acid and Vitamin supplements for early conception.

Revert in case of further queries.

Thank you for your detailed response. It was very helpful.

I request your advice on the following: Is there an advisable period I need to wait for the effects of these chemicals to fade before I try to conceive? Also, are there any blood tests that help me determine if these chemicals are in my body so that I can check for my risk factors?

#

1) It is usually recommended to wait for three months before conceiving for the effect of any chemical to fade off.

2) Also, as the wig glue was applied on your scalp and the pores get closed, there may be other minor side effects as well. But it will be fine if you refrain from using the glue for three months.

3) Make sure not to apply the wig glue during pregnancy, and no blood test is required.

4) However, start with Folic acid and get routine tests like blood sugar, thyroid function, etc., which should be sufficient.

Feel free to revert for any further queries.

|