Q. Should I be concerned about my gestational hypertension with headaches and eye pain?

Dr. Reetika Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 16, 2021 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2021

I am 31 weeks pregnant, and I am diagnosed with gestational hypertension at 27 weeks. I have been prescribed Labetalol 100 mg twice daily. After using Labetalol over the past week, I am having persistent headaches and eye pain today.

Should I be concerned?

Kindly help.

#

I fully understand your concern, and I will surely help you.

The medicines you are taking are highly recommended during pregnancy for high blood pressure, pain, and fever.

Despite that your blood pressure is high, you are having headaches and eye pain.

Since your blood pressure is high even after the medication and you have headaches and eye pain, I suggest you visit your health care provider at the earliest.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I went into maternal assessment last night. They did pre-eclampsia bloodwork which came back negative, and switched me to scheduled Labetalol again.

#

Thanks for the update.

I did not want to stress you. So, I did not mention pre-eclampsia. But I was worried about that. I suggest you watch for the movement of the baby and blood pressure. Just stay safe and keep yourself involved in good things.

I will pray for your health and a healthy baby.

|