Q. Is Emeset-4 safe to take during pregnancy?

Dr. Shalaka Joshi

I am 15 weeks pregnant, and I take Emeset-4 daily to control vomiting and nausea. I am having Emeset-4 from almost a month, but my doctor told me to take it less often. I tried stopping it, but my vomiting started again. What to do? I tried taking Doxinate-G, but it does not work. Please help. Is Emeset-4 not safe during pregnancy? I have hypothyroidism. My TSH is 4.432 and hemoglobin is 7.8 g/dL. I really need your help and advice.

Dr. Shalaka Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It is not advisable to take Emeset-4 (Ondansetron) during pregnancy so frequently. 6 to 7 large quantity vomits per day is considered normal, also small quantity 10 to 15 vomits per day is also normal. No treatment is required in either case.

These are pregnancy-induced vomiting and should not be stopped. Nature has done it in good faith to avoid baby to get unwanted infections. So, one should not stop them. Try to get adjusted.

It is absolutely fine even if you do not eat anything in a day. If you lose weight in the first 4 months, it is normal. Try to eat dry things like puffed rice, biscuits, roti, etc. Avoid juices, liquids, coconut water, etc. These vomitings should stop by next month.

If you want to take some medication, then I suggest trying tablet Pregnidoxin (combination of Caffeine and Meclizine), three times a day on an empty stomach. Firstly, try to consider these vomiting normal, then you will automatically get better.

For hemoglobin of 7.8 g/dL, please get a hemoglobin electrophoresis done to rule hemoglobinopathies. Start with iron tablets as early as possible.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|