Q. Can a woman get pregnant if ejaculated semen spills on her vagina?

Dr. Manisha Raghunath Auradkar

I am a 23-year-old woman with a BMI of 37. I had protected sex using a condom but ejaculated semen spilled on the outer vagina. I was on the 25th day of my cycle, and today I am supposed to have my period, which is usually regular. I would like to know the possibility that I might be pregnant.

#

I can understand your concern. It is very less likely to get pregnant when the semen has not entered the female genital tract. Also, you mentioned that you used protection during intercourse. So getting pregnant is very less likely to happen. Although you mentioned that you were on the 25th day of your menstrual cycle, the period is considered fertile. You mentioned that the semen was spilled on the outer parts of the vagina. Although that is very less likely to result in pregnancy but to be on the safe side, I suggest you wait for a week or two and if you do not get your periods until then, take a urine pregnancy test. Depending on the results, you can further consult a gynecologist in person.

Since I am obese, may I know how my chances of getting pregnant are?

#

As you mentioned, if you have regular menstrual cycles, you equally tend to get pregnant like any other female in your age group, irrespective of your BMI. The scenario you said is very less likely to result in you getting pregnant. Sometimes stress and hormonal imbalance can also lead to delay in periods. So do not worry. Give it some time, and then take further steps as I mentioned.

Thanks for spending your quality time with me, doctor.

#

I am glad to help you. Take care.

|