Q. I had protected sex with a CSW. Am I infected with HIV?

Dr. Manjunadh M. Nair
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2021

Hello doctor,

I had protected oral and vaginal sex with a commercial sex worker two nights back. The condom was intact throughout the intercourse. When I was about to ejaculate, I withdrew my penis, and the condom was intact even then. She got up and came with tissues, and I withdrew my condom with the help of tissues. I confirmed with her twice that she does not have HIV. I am worried if I was exposed to HIV, and that she was lying. What are my chances of getting infected? I know the chances are very low, but anxiety is killing me.

#

• You practically have no chance of getting HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), there is no point in worrying about it in further. After a month, you can do an HIV PCR RNA test to confirm it.
  • For the time being, there is no point in thinking about it even if the girl was HIV infected. With protected sex, there is nil chance of getting HIV.

For further queries consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Thank you for your reply. Do you recommend undergoing PEP, just to be on the safer side?

#

• PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is usually done for exposure by needle prick and cases where it is 100 % chances that HIV is transferred.
  • In your case, there is hardly any chance of an infection. And PEP is usually initiated immediately within a few hours to 24 hours, not after that. It is done using drugs which have a lot of side effects and can make life really difficult.
  • So, it is advised only in scenarios like a needle prick using HIV infected blood.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

It is just a follow-up to my question. It has been 50 days since my exposure. On the 29th day, I got a high fever, cough, and muscle pain in my back. I went to a doctor he said it was a lower respiratory tract infection. He put me on antibiotics for five days. The fever and cough have subsided. The cough has resurfaced now, and it is dry but irritating. While taking antibiotics, I observed that I had a single mouth ulcer which took like 14 days to heal. I also got something similar to balanitis on the 28th day, which went away after taking vitamin tablets. I have now developed something like fungus or yeast in my groin area or inner thigh region, which seems to be Jocks Itch. I still have not taken the tests for HIV and STDs. Regarding fever, I noted that some of my family members developed a similar fever with dry cough once I got it.

#

My friend, opportunistic infections in HIV can come very late into the disease, usually after 4 or 5 years into the disease. Mouth ulcers may be an aphthous ulcer can be due to stress or medications. Joker's itch is pretty common. Again LRTI (Lower respiratory tract infection) can come at any time. So obviously, all these are not related. The point is that you can go for an HIV test, that is, an HIV RNA test, since it can give results early and reduce your anxiety.

|