Q. Could use of Iodine scrub and diathermy in first trimester cause damage to the baby?

Dr. Poornima. K
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 29, 2021

I am 15 weeks pregnant and I am a surgeon. I have two questions. I use Iodine hand scrub occasionally and please say whether it can cause any harm to my baby. Please mention whether it can harm the child when it is used regularly or when it is used once. I always use Chlorhexidine scrub but sometimes I use Iodine scrub. Please say whether doing monopolar or bipolar diathermy cause any damage to my baby. I do it myself and sometimes assisted by a consultant for doing it. I would greatly appreciate for clarifying these points.

#

Using Iodine hand scrub occasionally will not cause harm. Monopolar and bipolar diathermy will not cause any harm unless extensive usage is done. In this COVID-19 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) era, we must minimize the use of dithering as much as possible. The electrosurgical particles in the air can deposit in our body tissues and it can cause accumulative effects in our bodies for years.

So, I need not worry about the usage of Iodine scrub and the use of diathermy during the first trimester. Please specify the duration of time to use Iodine scrub now. Please say whether I need to be worried about using diathermy which can release radiation or heat. Please say whether it causes a risk when used alone or along with someone else. Kindly help.

#

Using Iodine scrub occasionally will not cause any harm to the baby in terms of congenital defects. During diathermy, heat is produced and the electrosurgical particles can spread in the air as droplet deposition. It does not harm the baby. When you see the lists of chemical and detergents we use it every day, we get exposed to endless things. You need not worry about the use of diathermy even after using it for a long time.

|