Q. Does sex position affect the possibility of pregnancy?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 09, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 32 years old and my wife is 31. We had hiccups initially in having sex due to my masturbation habit. After a while it was better and last month we had good sex of about 80% and successfully ejaculated. We planned for a baby last month, such that our intercourse falls during her fertilization period. However, pregnancy did not happen and on the 30th day she got her period. But strangely, she had pain all day long and also tonight she is bleeding like menses. It had been third month after our marriage, and we are planning for baby. What could be wrong even after ejaculation? Though I was able to successfully ejaculate, it was possible mainly during women on top position and we did that mostly. Since I am much taller than her, it was difficult for me to reach top orgasm on normal man on top position. Does this position be the reason? Apart from Absolut-3G, I also took garlic soup, almonds and dates often. Should I take anything more? Kindly advice what to do?

#

• My first advice to you as a sexology expert is to relax, because there is no reason to panic. Panic, worry and stress can affect fertility.
  • One intercourse during ovulation period is not equal to 100% fertilization success. Even if you do it absolutely in the correct time it, it could still not result in conception. That is because it is a probability.
  • By probability I mean, you have to wait for about 24 cycles to expect a baby.
  • Infertility is defined as no conception despite active and healthy sexual activity more so during ovulation to period (determined by body temperature technique) after a period of two years.
  • It is hardly been five cycles in your case. Too early to worry.
  • But if you still cannot be patient during this period, get a semen analysis done at a good centre.
  • You can continue whatever medicine you are taking right now. Counseling will help you more.
  • Now most important advice, when you and your wife, both are relaxed and not stressing about getting pregnant, then your chances of success is more.
  • Also during intercourse do not worry about doing it right and successful. You should focus on enjoyment and sexual joy. If you enjoy the act, a conception during a year becomes more likely.

For further information consult a sexologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

I have few more doubts. We had sex many times before and after ovulation time. Still it did not work last month. Is it natural? Either morning or night, when can I have intercourse for possible pregnancy? Due to the height difference, it is easier for me to maintain better erection, if she is on top of me than military position. Does position affect the possibility of pregnancy? Sometimes I feel urge to have sex daily and also more than once a day. Is it fine to have sex for multiple times a day or consecutive days? Will it affect the chance of pregnancy? I doubt whether second penetration will affect already ejaculated semen or not. So, I satisfied myself with masturbation. But this gives me guilt that I have wasted my semen which probably would have helped. Please clarify the above points.

#

• I would like to clarify that there is no way you can damage sperms or semen by sex. So, there is no harm in having sex many times in a day or night or having multiple ejaculations in every act.
  • Timing does not affect the chance of success. You can have it even early morning if you like. Also, both missionary and woman on top positions are advisable. Position does not make any difference.
  • So, my conclusion is not to get worried about and keep trying with more focus.

For more information consult a sexologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|