Q. I gave my dog a flea bath using a shampoo containing toxins. Will it affect my pregnancy?

Dr. Sabita Laskar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 02, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

Yesterday, I gave my dog a flea bath using a shampoo containing pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide. I am nervous about the effect this might have on my pregnancy. I washed my hands repeatedly after I realized this. Will it affect the brain development of my baby?

#

These chemicals have more effect when they are used early in pregnancy. Local application, just on the hands alone, will not cause any harm to your baby.

Be assured and relax. Your baby is safe. But, do not repeat any more flea baths for your dog during pregnancy. Get the work done by someone else.

Take your pregnancy medicines regularly for proper growth of the baby.

For further follow up consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for your response. I am six weeks pregnant now according to my ultrasound report. That is why I am very nervous. Do you think this has caused any major damage?

#

I do not think so. These chemicals, at this early stage, will usually kill the baby when used directly, which in your case is thankfully just local contact.

It should not have any teratogenic effect such as congenital malformation.

Even then, I am sure your gynecologist will subject you to anomaly scan at 10 to 11 weeks and again at 18 to 20 weeks of gestation. These are routine tests to rule out anomalies. So, cheer up and enjoy your way to motherhood.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|