Q. Is this a nipple infection or just part of pregnancy?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 20, 2021

I am about 23 weeks pregnant. About five years ago, I had my nipples pierced and had got an infection in the right one. Due to infection, I took them out. The doctor told me to clean them due to build up. So, every other day or whenever I feel, I used to clean them. Well, from the last two days my left nipple seems like it has the build up, but nothing has come out. It hurts, and on one side it is hard like. I was just wondering if this could be an infection or just due to pregnancy. Please, advice.

#

• Normally nipple discharge should easily come out on pressing it.
  • If the secretions have accumulated and are unable to come out, it generally indicates blocked duct.
  • Though infection might not be present at an early stage, it might set in if the duct remains blocked for a long time. It will be better if you consult your health care provider and get it examined for a proper treatment of the same.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|