Q. I am 27 years old and active, but my blood pressure is elevated. Why?

Dr. Yermal Tanmai Deelip

I am a 27-year-old male. I checked my blood pressure last week and noticed it was elevated (systolic mid 130 and diastolic 68 to 74). Resting heart rate is low to mid-50s. I have been taking it every day in order to see an average. It generally falls in the 130 to 139 and 68 to 80 range, sometimes it goes into 140s and occasionally into 120s. I teach physical education, so I am active enough. My diet was inconsistent, and I have changed it , removing many processed foods and salt in the last week. I do not smoke, and very rarely I drink. The only thing I can think of that might raise my blood pressure is that I had a neck injury that can flare up from time to time. I wanted to hear your opinion, thank you.

#

I went through your query.

The blood pressure range of 130 to 139 falls in the prehypertensive range. It should be addressed. There could be some variations in blood pressure depending on the time of the day when the blood pressure is taken, and it can also change with your activity levels, some factors like pain, due to injury can alter it to some extent but only transiently. I just want to know few more details about you to decide if you should be treated for it. Do you have a family history of hypertension? Did you get your blood pressure recordings anytime above 140/90 mm Hg? Do you have any symptoms like intermittent headache, dryness of mouth, shortness of breath while walking, any chest discomfort?

Kindly get back with the above details for further discussion and management strategy.

Take care.

Thank you for your response.

In terms of a family history, my father is 69 and does not take any BP medication, my mother is 67 and takes a very small amount of medication for blood pressure as her blood pressure tends to fluctuate a lot. The highest reading I recorded was 145/70 but this dropped when I took it again. I occasionally have headaches and dryness of mouth. I do not have shortness of breath, but after a run I can find myself coughing afterwards. I have slight chest discomfort (feels more like the muscle is tight closer to the shoulder).

#

So you do not have a family history of hypertension.

Secondly, your blood pressure is not so high to start any treatment for it.

Yes, pain can sometimes aggravate your blood pressure. But that should not be bothered.

But yes, you need to adopt lifestyle modification, continue regular exercise (as you are already doing it and remain active) and proper and healthy diet. Reduce extra intake of salt (whatever quantity is there in cooked food is acceptable), reduce carbohydrates intake, and increase intake of proteins and fibers in your food. Do not take stress. Have a proper sleep.

Follow all this for two weeks and then check your blood pressure twice a day for three days, prepare a chart, and get back to me. Then we will decide if you really need any treatment for your hypertension. At your age, I will not recommend starting on medicines for hypertension.

I hope this will help you. Keep your blood pressure under control and may not require to start any treatment.

I will see you again after two weeks with your blood pressure chart.

Take care.

|