Q. Every three weeks to a month, I have one day where I throw up from the morning until night. Why?

Dr. Artur Holubka
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 18, 2021

For every three weeks or a month, I have throwing up pain in my stomach from the morning to night for a day. I go to the bathroom every thirty minutes. Today is one of those days and I do not know what to do to make my stomach feel better. How to stop the throwing up pain present in my stomach? This has happened to me for five times. Currently, I am taking birth control pills.

#

I assume that you have premenstrual syndrome (PMS), premenstrual tension syndrome, premenstrual illness, cyclic syndrome. It causes complex cyclical symptoms in women in premenstrual days. It occurs two to ten days before menstruation. It is characterized by psychoemotional, vegetative, metabolic, and endocrine disorders. It negatively affects the women's usual lifestyle.

The symptoms of PMS occur due to some provoking factors such as childbirth and abortion, neuropsychic stress, infectious diseases, or hormonal imbalance due to intake of contraceptives. You need to remember that a women's menstrual cycle is directly related to ovaries and estrogens. The most active form of estrogen is estradiol and it is synthesized in the follicles. The other two estrogens are derivatives of estradiol and synthesized in the adrenal glands and placenta.

During menstruation, these hormones induce the proliferation of endometrium and vaginal epithelium. They also result in increased mucus secretion by the cervical glands. In addition, estrogen stimulates the manifestation of secondary sexual characteristics in women. They cause enlargement of mammary glands during pregnancy and regulates luteinizing hormones and gonadoliberin. They also synthesize a number of transport proteins.

Progesterone is produced by the corpus luteum of the ovary, placenta, and adrenal glands. It is usually formed in the second half of the menstrual cycle. It acts on the endometrium and induces the secretion of mucus. Just like estrogen, progesterone is responsible for the enlargement of the woman's mammary glands during pregnancy.

Taking contraceptives affects these processes. You have a cephalgic form of premenstrual syndrome. They cause headaches, irritability, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, hypersensitivity to smell and sound, depression, heart pain, enlargement of mammary glands, numbness of hands, and sweating.

The headache seems to be pulsating and twitching and it begins in the temporal lobe. You have manifested only with vomiting. In terms of prevalence, it takes second place and it occurs in twenty percent of women. It is often observed in the early and late reproductive stages. The treatment is simple and patience is needed.

You need to do a complete hormonal panel with estradiol, prolactin, complete blood count, blood biochemistry with electrolytes, and urine albumin.

You can have side effects due to contraceptives.

|